PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formation Flying - Teaching Rejoin Procedure
Old 21st Mar 2022, 09:01
Porteous Loopy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
... be lower when flying cross cockpit (i.e. left turning rejoin) either way you kept lead just above the cowl...
This seems to be the key. It's discouraged in the environment I was in most recently because of the resulting upward vector after the bloom potentially jeopardising a non-compromising adherence to sticking below lead at all times at all costs (or at least making it harder to judge potential compromisation), but it seems pragmatic in side-by-side cockpits.

... At the tip in drive lead to the other side (right side of the canopy for a left turning rejoin and vice versa) and then using bank angle put leads wing tip just touching the top of the vertical fin. Manage smash ( ie closing speed) with power. At the tip in you want your airspeed to be about 15 % higher airspeed than formation speed ... I want to see the student get on the bearing line early and then ride it in....
Seems to be exactly the same workcycle I use ... HEIGHT - LINE - SPEED, using the same parameters and control techniques.

... Bad or worse dangerous rejoins, are always a result of an unstable flight path as the wing airplane closes on lead ...
Absolutely agree. Even after flying stable approach path, risk can be further mitigated by stabilising in a key position before moving UP - FORWARD - IN in clearly defined stages. This also provides an explicit, measurable and teachable/gradable workcycle.