PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Airlines still flying
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2022, 21:42
Liffy 1M

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
The State for both , just like in Iran , as long as you fly inside your own country , your own State rules apply. If they want to fly outside their borders long haul they might have to reactivate the old IL86 fleet ,which as far as I know is the only recent Russian aircraft with no Western components,(outside of the even older T154M and IL76...)
What is frustrating is that Rosaviatsiya (their CAA) was getting better and better the last years, taking the lead in improving Safety, modernizing ATC to top standards ( better than in the US ) , all this stopped in their tracks.
Aeroflot and S7 may shortly cease to exist in their current form , hardly thinkable for the Russian economy, so a solution to the conflict and return to some for of normality in the not too distant future is the only way out for them. Hoping someone higher up realizes this.
The Il-86 was withdrawn from use in the early 2000s and I imagine most have been scrapped by now. Very few Tu-154s remain active, as far as I know, and the potential to reactivate such types in any numbers must be slim to none.