PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formation Flying - Teaching Rejoin Procedure
Old 19th Mar 2022, 01:27
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
My last formation instruction was for a guy with a Yak18T. Before that it was all in Nanchangs and Yak52's with tandem cockpits and clear canopies. With respect to rejoins I taught them the same way on the 18T. The only difference was that you had to be lower when flying cross cockpit (i.e. left turning rejoin) either way you kept lead just above the cowl. I emphasis that bank angle determines the line so less bank if you are going ahead of the bearing line, more bank if you are going behind the line. At the tip in drive lead to the other side (right side of the canopy for a left turning rejoin and vice versa) and then using bank angle put leads wing tip just touching the top of the vertical fin. Manage smash ( ie closing speed) with power. At the tip in you want your airspeed to be about 15 % higher airspeed than formation speed as you get close to station the power comes well back to wash the smash off and then returns to what would be a normal power to hold position on the wing as the airplane stabilizes.

Just like landings a good approach = a good outcome. I want to see the student get on the bearing line early and then ride it in. Bad or worse dangerous rejoins, are always a result of an unstable flight path as the wing airplane closes on lead