PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankstown RNP RWY 11 approach on Garmin G1000
Old 18th Mar 2022, 05:58
tossbag

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts
Tossbag, yes pretty much.

From my own experience it seems that Boeing aircraft systems seem to favour a 2.5-3 degree profile, whereas the Airbus logic is not quite as straight forward and in some cases goes towards a more dive and drive profile. This can vary based on weight, wind, and temperature. Its just the different logic used in the navigation systems.

Garmin systems being more GA focused seem to also favour a 3 degree profile. The key thing to remember here is that the system is only as smart as the information it hold. In the Bankstown case for the RAKSO-SBKWI leg there are only 2 known points that being RAKSO or SBKWI (the 6.5nm fix and the airspace boundary are unknown to the system). So starting at 3700ft at RAKSO and wanting to be 2500ft at SBKWI presents some options..
a) I can give you a 3 degree descent from 3700ft @ RAKSO to 2500ft, or
b) I can give you a 3 degree descent to 2500ft @ SBKWI from 3700ft, or
c) I can plot a constant descent from 3700ft @ RAKSO to 2500ft SBKWI which would be 1.5deg (approx)

These are pretty much the only coding options available......each nav system manufacturer may choose a different option....and each of them are valid for a specific system/aircraft. For example option a) may be suited Cessna 400 series piston aircraft allowing for deceleration. Option b) may be more suited to turboprop aircraft and option c) may be suited to jet aircraft. In all cases the start, end and minimum altitudes are honoured. I hope this helps explain it.
Yes, perfectly, thanks very much