PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compare Robin R1180T Aiglon and the Piper Cherokee PA-28-180
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 00:14
Whopity

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking back through my log book I have done quite a lot of check outs in the R1180, I recall that it was a nice aeroplane to fly and its only bad point was the French style seats that rotate backwards as you move the seat further back meaning the tall pilot also needs very long arms and you finish up look at the canopy. I regularly flew a PA28-180 at the same time and whilst the characteristics were very similar I think the 1180 felt nicer and better co-ordinated. Stall performance of both was benign, I did spin the 180 a few times but it was rather reluctant to spin. Landing the 1180 was precise but then if you fly the correct speed both aircraft will land correctly. I think the 1180 was a little reluctant to leave the ground at max auw especially on grass. If I wanted to go somewhere and had the choice I would have taken the 1180 any day. If I wanted to instruct a student I would have taken the 180.