PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Running out of rego’s
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2022, 03:06
thunderbird five

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts
Right,
So I had a very pleasant conversation with the Aircraft Registrar person himself this morning, Craig, the top banana, who called me himself, personally. He's been the Registrar for about 5 months now following Jurgen's departure from CASA.
Would anyone be surprised to hear that until he arrived on the scene, somewhere between nothing and not much had been investigated or even realised for this looming problem. Certainly nothing was actively in the works.

CASA are planning to switch to three digit alpha-numberic, eg
2 Alpha Bravo, or
Alpha 2 Bravo, or
Alpha Bravo 2 - whatever you like, or CASA will go fishing and give you whatever comes out.

"Planning" to do all this, DAS has seen the proposals, not yet signed off on the deal, but they don't have a lot of time to spin their wheels on this as we all know.

There will be no zeros (no confusion with Oscar.)
There will be no ones (no confusion with India.)

Some specific sequences will be blocked, such as something to do with Q (Q codes...) Dunno why, there's already a bus load of Q rego's.
Airservices has been involved somewhat, don't anticipate any problems (other than some ATC education)
ICAO is cool with it.
Transponder mode S is it, code allocation whatever that hexispherical whatever number is called I forget (not the 1234) should continue OK.
Yes you will be able to reserve as usual. eg VH-AV8 I suppose. OH! what about RV8! CT4, loads of fun still to be had there.

Thanks also to S.7700 for a tipoff along these lines the other day. Hope this expands on what's happening. Keep fingers and shoelaces crossed that it happens in time.

TB5.
(Just waiting for Allan to arrive at the space station on board TB3.)