PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways-2
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2022, 17:13
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
A good friend of mine is a senior manager of software developers and support staff. About five years ago, a small company recruited him to migrate them from legacy systems to bring them up to date, After two years of struggling to get them to agree to what was needed - they still clung to the old systems. There was proof that they could save money and do much better on the small things that did migrate. Eventually, he realised they were not going to bite the bullet and left for another company. His pals have had similar experiences.

In the mid-1990s, when I was in telecommunications, I was working a contract for a large and well known UK high street company. The IT Director reported to the CEO which was good as we thought they took us seriously. Then the CIO was told to report to the finance director - who reported to the CEO. Effectively, demoting the whole IT department becuase the CEO thought that IT was all about money. What we did was ensure that every item was tracked from manufacture overseas through to ownership and guarantees.

In my view, most managers just do not understand IT and, therefore they ignore it. Hoping that the problem will errupt on the next man (it's always a man) who takes the hot seat.