PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Storm Damage - RAF Brize Norton
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2022, 14:49
Richard Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair, some of the gust speeds being quoted around the SW and SE today, are borderline close to the 1 in a 100 year max design wind speed for new building design in the UK,
A concept that could shortly be a tad redundant. Lots of info online (from highly reputable sources) for those who wish to dig it up on "Extreme Event Attribution":

In the early 2000s, a new field of climate-science research emerged that began to explore the human fingerprint on extreme weather, such as floods, heatwaves, droughts and storms.
I've no wish to be either controversial or apocalyptic; I'm merely pointing out that today's extremes could soon becomes tomorrow's "normals". Being an old timer, I have the evidence of my own eyes to back up some of the stuff I look up and read. Seems to me our weather patterns are changing and the available literature is ever-more convincing.

I'm neither qualified nor sufficiently peremptory to pontificate from a climate-change pulpit, but one likes to be a little open-minded when the future of the planet is at stake. Or, if not quite that, then at least the future of my roof