PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard limiting speeds
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 09:41
bean

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scotbill
The Vanguard was an amazing aircraft perfectly capable of equalling or beating jet block times on sectors up to 1.30. (Equalled but never beat my best Vanguard time on domestic flights on Tridents and 757s).
BEA were right to think there was no need for jets on domestics but the glamour of jets won the day. Difficult to fly well compared to Tridents until you got used to its constant change of trims with power or configuration alteration.
Despite its chunky looks and lack of hydraulic controls it was a very satisfying aeroplane at high speed with a Vne at low level of 331 knots. The closer to that speed the more precise the handling so it is easy to believe reports from Vickers test pilots that above 400 k IAS they preferred the Vanguard to the Valiant jet bomber, LATCC asked me once to deviate on a descent into LHR to allow a 737 to descend through my level because he was faster. My reply, "Well we're doing 320k, what's he doing?" Shortly afterwards a notice appeared in the Control Centre 'Please note that Vanguards descend at jet speeds'.
Heathrow controllers got used to Vanguards being infinitely flexible. I was once diverting to Birmingham over Central London at 10,000 feet when Approach said "28R RVR now 600 metres - are you interested?"
We got in.
For more read my book 'Flight from the Croft (Whittles) 5* on Amazon. Any royalties go to charity..
Thanks again Scotbill. I've already replied on my facebook Vanguard topic