PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military ethos and Diversity?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2022, 10:56
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by charliegolf
They would think it was a crime (it was) like theft or fraud or ABH; and therefore had no place in the service, cos 'right-minded' people didn't do those things.

There is no link to 'them' and 'this'.

CG
It was the same throughout my time in the RAF, I've accepted the change, but today's service chiefs are losing all perspective in their quest for a more enlightened approach, again, not that the more enlightened approach is wrong. When I joined, all the service chiefs were WW2 veterans, to me they aren't outside of living memory, and certainly not their immediate predecessors, so there is a link. But I am alluding also to the comments made by Scamp and Cat Techie which suggest it is 'their generation which proved themselves in the face of fire, perhaps its the bungling of latter day politicians that put them in harm's way alongside a fistful of defence cuts? Therefore, is their moral opinion supposed to trump all? As I've said, it is all about perspective and proportion. However, I will say one thing and Cat Techie would certainly appreciate this having joined in 1984, Scamp as well, the years of RAF service from the end of National Service (I'm partially assuming as I didn't join until 1977) all the way through to the early 1990s, were the very best. We had the Cold War to thank for that and the substantial military balance between East and West. That has long been lost and, as I alluded, is largely responsible for all the disastrous conflicts across the Middle East we've had recently, for which, for the record, I entirely blame the West's Politicians, namely, Bush Jnr, Blair and Biden, these three in particular.

FB Off to the Bunker a second time