PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military ethos and Diversity?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2022, 09:28
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by t43562
I think it depends on how you see a war effort - as individuals who kill or something like a team. In the end the whole population is the team and to get it to be equally committed it must think it is going to be equally treated. If you don't care about that your national effort won't be at it's highest possible level and you might lose.
The whole population isn't the team, we're a Liberal Democracy, that means we have to accommodate a sizeable chunk of the population who will never understand any justification for relying on the armed forces for doing anything, or only in certain circumstances. The leader of Her Majesty's loyal opposition, often thought of as the kind of moderate who would take his party back to the centre ground, is not someone I would trust of Foreign and Defence Policy.
The reason is, having checked his voting record, and assuming it to be correct and accurate, he has consistently voted to oppose military action against Isis/Daesh, cast your mind back to the threat they posed back in 2014, he has also consistently voted to oppose deploying British Forces on overseas operations, under any circumstances. But there are people who would vote for his party in a General Election who couldn't give to hoots about that. The nation is diverse in all kinds of ways, the Armed Forces would be better recruiting with a sense of honesty rather than trying to emphasize attracting a mindset which might join out of curiosity or even with genuine interest before leaving after feeling misled, possibly the reason for poor retention. The Western Democracies are all very much the same, they've forgotten that round pegs don't fit in square holes and vice versa. While it is fair and right that anyone from any background regardless of race and gender should be welcomed into the armed forces, the armed forces should not be emphasizing or trying to identify and associate with a specific group, to closely, by doing so, the defence chiefs are misrepresenting their profession and confusing their ethos with something else. They should recruit without fear or favour and close their eyes to the individuals religion, personal life and behaviour, leave all that out, and portray what they are about. I notice the Royal Marines and the Royal Navy in their recruitment campaigns, still pursue a more honest line.

Right I'm off to the Bunker!

FB