PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 14:05
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@n5296s those observations match previous ones that are occasionally posted in this thread (example), although perhaps not quite as strongly.

While primarily an R44 pilot, I've got a tiny bit of time in an EC130 and, if I had to guess, it may have been Bruno's intention to give the G2 the feel of a larger helicopter like an EC120, 130 or the like. It might not have been entirely successful, but certainly the G2 felt to me more similar to the 130 than the R44 did. I understand that in places that might have used lower friction mechanisms higher frictions mechanisms were used intentionally (and no doubt those mechanisms were simpler, cheaper and lighter, too). So perhaps there is some advantage there for those who are going to transition directly to Eurocopter/Airbus equipment. Nevertheless, as fun as it was to trim out the ship for a hands-off demo, I particularly did not like that the friction was so high one could not feel the effects of the trim system in real-time. It was trim-test-retrim as required (for those that are wondering, yes, all the control frictions were completely off when I flew the G2).

And it really does make one appreciate the greater power reserves of the R22, much less the much greater reserves of the R44 with only two on board.

Can't speak to your local market conditions, but in the US G2 operators have still not found a way to create a competitive pricing structure for it. It remains approx. 50% more expensive than the R22 and only 20% less expensive than the R44, which makes it a very odd niche player. It seems to appeal to the older/wealthier demographic who are attracted to its sporty looks and fine interior finish (particularly compared to the typical ratty school R22) rather than for any perceived safety difference. That sort mostly winds up buying an R44 or R66 anyway in the end.