PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC H135M replace Gazelles
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2022, 12:33
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
You could do a fast running landing, but with skids it would be a different ball game to the wheeled AS365
Anyone else here remember the Met Police Bell 222 with TR problems that did a lovely high-speed running landing? All went well to touchdown (kudos), but I believe even differential braking couldn't keep it straight and it went off the runway/tipped over. Helis with high CofGs and relatively narrow wheel/skid track are going to experience significant roll moment as the aircraft yaws at speed on the ground. If the heli decelerates rapidly in a straight line before yaw starts to take effect the risk of the roll moment building is potentially reduced. I had a single engine problem in a 135T1 at night - carried out a running landing to a well-lit cargo apron instead of the runway proffered by ATC (dark desert surroundings, reduced height/depth perception). No yaw, hardly had to touch the pedals. With hindsight I was glad to have chosen the apron, as the surface wasn't finished to the same high standard as the runway so the friction (and resultant deceleration) was greater. The run-on was about 30m - a lot of noise and a shower of sparks behind the aircraft which was distracting, but the only things that needed replacing were the skid shoes. I was unfortunate enough later that year when training with a student to do a run-on to the main runway which resulted in more damage: after touchdown, the aircraft slid for over 100m even with the lever down, and I failed to stop the aircraft from yawing over the centreline lights. They might only be approx 2cm above the surface, with chamfered edges, but that was still enough to snap the right rear skid post. Moral to these tales - if you have to do a run-on landing in an aircraft with skids, use a taxiway or apron for preference and - if you have to use a runway - stay away from the centreline. I wouldn't use grass unless it was a patch I knew well (Middle Wallop or Tern Hill, for example) and had faith in the grounds-maintenance folk to keep it flat.

Once you start the flare in an EOL with no TR you are in the lap of the Gods
Absolutely right - teaching the exercise in the sim, we stressed the need to tighten the flare slightly more than for a 'normal' EOL to kill off all forward speed, then concentrate on getting the floor absolutely level for touchdown. Glad I'll never have to be the person who has to try it for real - retirement is a wonderful thing