PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liverpool-5
Thread: Liverpool-5
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2022, 19:19
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by BACsuperVC10
Quite a depressing opinion. The Northwest is quite large enough to support two airports, and doesn't have excellent surface links, and probably never will. Liverpool has reported growth since 2015, apart from Covid, I see no reason why that won't continue.

As you know Aer Lingus was barred from flying from Liverpool for many years, Ryanair became the allocated carrier by the Irish Government, they have always been seen off by Ryanair ever since. Wizzair continues to add services now with 13 routes, Ryanair added several new routes recently, as did Easyjet.
Freight has increased of late too with 34 flights from China, over 30 of those were wide bodies.

Bristol is not really a good comparison, they have no large airport on their doorsteps. If you compare with LBA or NCL,, Liverpool is doing OK, and well done to the airports Management and Lufthansa for bringing us Frankfurt.
Aer Lingus has NEVER been barred from Speke that is utter nonsense and frankly has been illegal since 1997 under EU law; indeed under prior under the GB and Eire trade arrangements since 1923 !

CoVID19 supply flights will begin to wind down everywhere from the spring indeed China and the CAAC has instructed that no more freight on passenger exemptions for Chinese carriers will be permitted beyond April.

Bristol is an excellent comparison large local community (admittedly a vocal population of anti aviation and other green issues) and a massive leakage of traffic to a rather large regional field an hour and half away by train.

Indeed this is exactly the societal issues; in the south and along the M4 corridor commuting quite sizeable distances is actually the norm and I mean well in excess of 30 miles each way .
My own commutes take me up to 70 miles from home to work many days North West London into Central Kent.

As someone who lived and worked Bristol for several years, I can tell you many locals will choose Heathrow over navigating Dalby Avenue , West Street and eventually Bridgwater Road and up Potters Hill any day of the week!
Absolutely horrid journey . Be passing Reading of GWR in the same travel time !

I have no objection to Speke as a local airport serving local needs particularly exporting tourism however as a hub (using it as its literal meaning a transport interchange) its simply fails .

As for cargo; yes there may be some potential, however afraid MAG Group with the geographical advantages of Stansted and EMA and the major consolidators onboard have well and truly captured that market .

I give you Wizz has negotiated a rather good package, however wonder if it actually makes money for Peel Group- indeed if it delivers any profit at all !

(Tirana and Chisinau have a rather political usage in ONE way- if you know what I mean)