PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Reserve and FPF
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2022, 12:03
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lantirn
Thanks all for your time.

By the way. Do anyone knows what's the company final reserve for Lufthansa? Have heard that they have adjusted it to 45mins of fuel, which I find awesome.

I was looking recently a study that occurred some years ago in their simulators about an approach in LFMN and then a nose gear would not come down with a hydraulic failure, plus on the second approach they had flaps locked.

This study after some mathematical forecasts concluded that the final reserve of 30mins was not enough to be safe according to todays high complexity on the flightdecks, and that its more applicable to the old jet era. A recommendation to adjust to 45 mins would dramatically minimize the risk of fuel starvation.
Don't know about Lufthansa but it would make sense to increase the final reserve to 45 min at least. If I am not mistaken in FAA land it's 45 min of final reserve computed at cruising thrust ?
Legally landing with 30 mins of gas in the tanks of a large category transport aircraft is not ideal but it is definitely not going to change.