PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaga near miss report
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2022, 19:23
oceancrosser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Out of curiosity what would be your procedure if ordered ( or decided ) to go around at this point , straight ahead or bank 30 degrees either direction ?
I have been in a such a position, visual approach in a widebody for 01R at KIAD, good weather. We were (IIRC) only 3-4 nm out when the TWR cleared a 773 to line up on 01R, and subsequently cleared them for take-off. Without any “expedite” or other indications that the presumably non-native English speaking crew on the 773 would get, that they needed to rush things. They took their time. I told my F/O (PF) to keep going but be ready for a go-around.
A go-around would have presented three bad choices; turn right towards traffic coming from the North on the STAR for 01R, albeit probably not lower than 4000ft; keep straight and get too close to the 773; turn left into the path of traffic on the visual or ILS approach to 01C. All bad choices, although in hindsight I would have turned right and maintained 2-3000´. As it turned out, we were probably at 50ft over the threshold when the 773 was around 50ft over the departing end of the runway. I think the controller realized it was a f***up as he thanked us profusely as he sent us over to Ground Control.

Last edited by oceancrosser; 26th Jan 2022 at 14:35.