PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying an Airbus with 140hrs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 11:51
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
The only solution available is more carefully crafted SIM exercises togehter with an educative approach from Fleet, Standards and Training departments. Exactly what the MPL concept introduced over the integrated ATPL schemes. Including the continuous monitoring of skill development.

Perhaps the rest of the pilot pool could benefit from the same philosophy. Continuous monitoring of (essential skill) degradation?

It's hard to imagine 2x 140 MPL's flying into a PIA style crash. Equally hard as to accept there was no noticeable markers before that one in the PIC performance. Outside the FDM algorithms.
​​​​​
I believe that is exactly what Evidence Based Training (EBT) tries to solve. Continuous monitoring of pilot capability, both via fleet based FDM and of course in the simulator. Training to proficiency not meaning to only tick the boxes, but to reach real proficiency before releasing crew (back) to the line. In effect the continuation of the MPL training philosophy into the line flying segment. That might rattle some of us, but i think many of us who have a modicum of EBT already tried on us actually prefer it to the old tick the box style "training" and checking.