PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying an Airbus with 140hrs
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2022, 07:34
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vokes55
What on earth has raw data flying and doing maths in your head got to do with MPL schemes and whether somebody’s flown Turboprops or private air charter or not? A pilot’s reluctance to fly raw data is usually due to company policy, not because they don’t have the confidence or ability to do it. In some parts of the world, a simple mistake made whilst going against company policy and flying raw data would see them out of a job (and a residency visa). With FDM there’s no hiding or covering anything up any more.

Most airline pilots want to go to work, operate safely with appropriate use of automation and then go home at the end of the day. Most airline pilots want to stay out of management offices, keep their jobs and provide for their family. If you think flying a raw data, A/T off departure in a busy airspace with low level offs, tight turns, stepped climbs and speed restrictions somehow makes you a superior pilot, you’re wrong. It makes you a moron.

Thankfully the majority of pilots I’ve flown with have common sense and know that there’s a time and a place for manual flying and visual approaches. Oh, and most professional pilots know better than to discuss other pilots’ performance in the sim.
Vokes, clearly you miss understood my point. First of all where did I say that flying raw data in busy airspace was a good idea? One of the Golden rules of Airbus states: Use appropriate level of automation at all times ». Meaning if the weather is cavok, easy airport, it’s good idea to disconnect everything. But if it’s low clouds, sun in the face, crew are tired, then by all means, perform an autoland if you have to. It’s all about common sense. I never fly raw data when it’s not appropriate. First of all my outfit has restrictions and why I will put myself under unnecessary heavy workload? I’m not a fool like you seem to think I am. But if I had to in an emergency I would be able to do it as I practice regularly. I love the automation on Airbus, and I study my ass off to understand it and to be able to use it at its optimum capacity. But! You also need to maintain your handskills. This is a no brainer; Not my words, Airbus says so. Just go watch the Airbus video man. They explain it very well. And I know many airlines prohibit flying raw data. So what? They are obviously wrong and part of the problem. Emirates latest incident flying at 75 feet after airborne should raise some alarms. If you decide to work with these outfits, that’s your call.
You said also pilots don’t fly raw datas cause of company policy and not because of confidence and ability to do it. Sorry but that’s not true: My outfit allows raw data and many guys are not doing it cause of their lack of confidence and the phobia of FDM/QAR. I have seen many guys flying raw data and believe me if it was in IFR it would have been alarming. If pilots were confident with their flying skills they would not be so concerned with FDM/QAR. As long as you stay within the limits and correct when the PM is calling out the deviations there is no reason you will burst a QAR.. Now about the sim sessions: This is just about sharing our mistakes and experience in the sim to help our fellow colleagues. We are a small outfit. I’m never mocking other pilots. and I’m the first one to share my experiences when I did something stupid or any kind of mistakes in the sim or during line. Have a nice cold beer and chill out bro. =)

Last edited by pineteam; 21st Jan 2022 at 11:22. Reason: Typo