PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas terminates long haul cabin crew agreement, demands more flexibility
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:51
Mr Proach

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
You mean in the way other airlines CC such as BA, Virgin Atlantic and Australia (when they had LH B777 and A330 types), EK, EY, QR and who knows how many others with mixed fleets operate with no significant problems? My partner is CC for an airline and works across multiple types, equipment and layouts with no issues. As an Engineer I am Licensed and work across multiple types, engines, equipment and configs (even within the same type). If the Union were a bit more aware, they should be negotiating a reasonable pay rise on the basis of their members expanded qualifications.
I respect your responsibilities however, you don't have to deal with performing infallibly under the extreme stress of a life threatening emergency situation. When faced with a life and death situation in a hostile environment the potential to make a mistake is amplified, factor in a multitude of types and the margin for error increases. It is infinitely easier to adjust to working in a variations of types under normal conditions and if aircraft never crashed that part of human factors would be never be a consideration. What do you consider to be your partner's core responsibility? Do you think that pilots should operate multiple types? The article suggested the result was a reduction in remuneration for an increase in responsibility however, the spreadsheet manipulators don't mention the word responsibility because fundamentally they don't comprehend what it means in the context of safety of human beings. Their extent of the understanding of aviation is limited to seat per mile costs. They are not inherently evil people just oblivious to such matters.