PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 19th Jan 2022, 17:02
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
proving it works

Originally Posted by VX275
That reminds me of one pupil I was given. Sat in the cockpit for the first time I passed him the FRCs (it was in a Venture) and proceeded to read the Cockpit checks having asked him to follow me. He said "Sorry sir I can't read", having been brought up in the 'wooden fleet' days where FRC's were unknown and all you had to remember was CBSITCB I replied "OK repeat after me".
This cadet is one I am proud of, he memorized the checks and he went solo and if his later life was restricted by his level of literacy at least he could say he had flown an aircraft on his own.
A wonderful testament of how the 'system' brought out the ability of youngsters to achieve a truly amazing experience (That has never been equalled in ;flight training' ) (Of course all we had to remember was CISTRS or something like that) I still do BUMFFPT* nowadays in the power world. * or something similar when landing having turned the radio off, and decided who is actually in the circuit as opposed to a x country.
I will never forget the 'pile' of wellies that the Cadets had to sort out a pair from !!!

Last edited by POBJOY; 19th Jan 2022 at 17:15.