PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 19th Jan 2022, 01:13
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Keeping it simple

I know that the system used very basic machines, however it achieved an amazing level of training considering the main operations for 'schools' was on a w-end only basis.
When you add the weather and travel factor plus Cadets had no 'ability streaming' or real pre flight classroom work, how did it all work. I think it worked because no one told us it could not be done that way. There must be lessons that can be learnt from those days that relate to how we approach tasks today. Of course it was very much a 'hands on' operation and I do not recall much in the way of paperwork or written tests. Yet despite this a 16 year old was allowed to do all this on his own after a very limited amount of actual flight time and with an excellent safety record. Could it have been an 'age related' factor that the magic 16 element happened to peak in a combination of confidence and learning ability that enabled total input into the task rather than the the requirement to memorise lots of information. There again was it the Bumble Bee syndrome, we fly because we can and no one told us otherwise. Thank you Air Cadet Gliding you did us proud.