PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAe Hawk Mk. 1 W inquiry
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2022, 09:27
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Actually after a couple more coffees perhaps I can add a little anecdotal stuff.
After leaving the mob and via an 11 month gliding holiday in zimbabwe with occasional work on the AFZ Hawk T60's.
I ended up back in Blighty at Hawker Squiddely Dunsfold ostensibly for sea harrier production work in the 'Black Hangar' (although I had zero Harrier experience )
Anyway initially I got grabbed by the Hawk production centre for various Hawk tasks - incl the rebuild/function stages on 2 Zimbabwe Hawk 60's which had been returned for repair after the 'bombs in the intakes' attack at Thornhill AFB (on the you used to work there - you fix them basis )
I also did quite a lot of work on the AIM 9 conversion aircraft (not sure how many we did - I know Abingdon did some Hawk update mods at one time) and we usually referred to these aircraft as 'War Role' Hawks,I don't know if anybody else referred to them as 'War Role'.I only mention that in case the (W) designation was related to war role.
As JTC posted above the T1A conversion was also a 'Roll Up' modification update programme which included stuff completely unrelated to the AIM 9 conversions (Rear Wing Mountings on the fuselage at Frame 29 were a fun job LOL)