PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Germany to buy F-18 Super Hornet And reduce Typhoon orders
Old 13th Jan 2022, 12:02
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Please bear in mind I’m not a Typhoon guy but I’ll do my best!

By your username I’m assuming you used to defend the air from the cockpit of a Lightning. Back in those days bombs etc were no more complex than a lump of metal to drop from the right piece of sky. Very little software was required and carriage trials would have been quite simple. We also did a lot of the work ourselves and didn’t have partner nations to worry about.

Nowadays jets are too clever for their own good and you can’t just strap on whatever you like without modifying the software. This is expensive and can involve the cooperation of multiple nations. It is especially complicated where nuclear secrets are involved.

I hope that makes sense. And I hope I’m not talking a load of rubbish.

BV
Remember that part of the Tornado certification included NEMP testing I think in China Lake. So physical as well as software testing and certification to enable it to carry a nuclear bomb.

Edit.
Added to that is the requirement, as part of the change control process, for any subsequent change to be supported by a Nuclear Safety impact statement.

Last edited by Buster15; 13th Jan 2022 at 12:44.