PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sell me the Monitored Approach
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2022, 06:57
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
A discussion in the early 70s which had Balpa connections, either The Log or our rep,Pete Harper, was about the French flying a Cat 3 approach by hand.
Iirc it involved a monitored approach and go around with PM counting the approach lights down to the threshold lights on the first approach and on the second approach the throttles would be closed based on the number of lights that had been seen on the previous approach. The stats were that they had a very good success rate without accidents at a time when we (BEA) were struggling to get in with a triplex autopilot.
SR had a head up display for the captain on the MD 80 with the first officer flying the monitored approach either to cat 1 with a continue phase to 100ft or monitoring the automatics to a lower DH again with a continue phase possibility. If at DH there was no my controls or continue then a go around would be performed. Unlike BEA procedures where DH was deemed as the missed approach point we used it literally in that we could access the visibility which meant that we gained 20ft or more before we needed to go around which meant a higher approach success. There was the debate of what the copilot should do after a continue call and no response at 100ft; consensus being that if the captain had seen enough at 200ft and was now incapacitated the safest way was that the copilot put the aircraft on the ground and sorted him out afterwards.
‘Of the three procedures that I flew it was the best; the most difficult was having PM monitoring the analogue auto throttle on the Trident which was obligatory unless it was U/S or after an engine loss when it wasn’t certified; we weren’t allowed to use manual throttle.