PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sell me the Monitored Approach
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2022, 21:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s not clear to me how many here have used what has become known as ‘monitored approaches’? I’m genuinely interested to hear who other than BA use them? IMVHO they are excellent. But I don’t expect to convince anyone with a closed mind. I accept there’s massive resistance.

The post of slast reads very well indeed.

As for actions below 500’ here’s a rough idea for a CAT 1 approach.

The pilot who has flown the approach remains on instruments throughout, always expecting and planning to fly the go-around. As decision height is approached, the pilot expecting to fly the landing, will include the view out of the window as an increasing part of their scan, whilst covering the controls/thrust levers. If sufficient visual references are seen when at DH, the call is, “Continue. I have control.” If insufficient references are acquired, the call is “Go-around.”

As an additional observation. If at 1000’ the aircraft is not stable, why should the call be “Go-around now”?

Chances are that to be ‘not stable’ you’ve probably been rather busy? All not stable means is you shouldn’t continue to a landing. So how about taking a few seconds to get your sh1t back together, share mental models, then when you are both happy, fly a nice easy go-around.