PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilots making errors after long periods without flying
Old 5th Jan 2022, 10:40
Potsie Weber

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
Who teaches to set the park brake on when on the runway during a normal take-off? I learnt a big lesson once watching an aircraft cause several go-rounds because they set the park brake and then the bugger got stuck on, tower loves that call when an aircraft is now lodged on the threshold of the main runway because x-factor pilot is stuck with the park brake jammed. And if this is in the sim, most likely after an unrealistic reset/reposition where a pilot may make this mistake which has no bearing on real operations. The other thing is what modern airplane will not scream at you if you even tried to attempt to apply moderate thrust with the park brake on, unless QF has un-bunged some DC-8s from the bone yard for use.
I always set the park brake when stopped for anything more than a few seconds. I would rather embarrass myself for forgetting it is on than rolling into another aircraft, rolling into an active runway, rolling off a runway or taxiway whilst distracted. It is better to be distracted with the park brake on than off!