PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lear Jet Down
Thread: Lear Jet Down
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2022, 17:06
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=B2N2;.
Especially a Lear is not known to be a ‘starter jet’ but many evac companies use them for the larger door. Or I think that’s the reason. [/QUOTE]

Indeed, the door is much wider and the configuration of the door as a clamshell facilitates loading far more easily as you have a ramp to attach to the medical base in the aircraft using the step as a base to stabilise the stretcher ramp on.

The other reason for Lear use is that it's cost-effective in terms of time and distance compared to say a King Air. In the UK, a Lear 35A will fly direct to the Canary Islands in about 4 hours, whereas a King Air will take at least double including a fuel stop and require an overnight stay and a far longer journey for the patient. Also, a Lear will climb and cruise a lot higher than a turboprop which will cut down the problems to the patients of mid level turbulence and the incidence of nausea and vomiting in particular when you have them strapped into a stretcher. Remember, the stretcher actually has little stretcher to cabin ceiling leeway for sitting a patient up.

I do wonder if there was an element of 'get homeitis' when in effect the weather was poor.? I worked for 11 years in the UK for Lear based A A companies both pilots were fully qualified PIC and the chief pilot at one always insisted that his pilots actually maintained the skills by hand flying the aircraft when appropriate. All legs on a job were flown with an alternating pilot handling, pilot monitoring.

Apart from the loss of the two pilots being lost, there were two nurses on board who also died. RiP colleagues, blue skies.

Last edited by air pig; 1st Jan 2022 at 17:16.