PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Issues with Longhaul pilots returning to the skies after 2 years.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 21:33
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
Longhaul or Domestic we have been grounded for similar periods and have both gone through the same hoops getting back to speed. The bigger stuff normally gets all the YouTube clicks as it’s exactly that, bigger metal makes it more dramatic.

I would be careful pointing to crews all being rushed. I can’t answer for all training departments, however I have had more asymmetric practice in the sim, in the last year, than I’ve had in the last near 20 years on the same type. Things I’ve let slip in the sim wouldn’t have been acceptable a few years ago.

The challenge is everyone is different, learns at different speeds, and has different abilities. Has been talk of minimum recent experience required in the cockpit by some carriers, normally one with a hundred hours or so alongside the person who just left the sim. That’s a challenge for LH operators who are all coming back at once as such, ramping up very fast.

That landing was probably expected with a tailwind and lack of recent manual landing experience. I did something similar when I returned, floated down runways in my few weeks like I did back when I qas new to type. Takes a little while to transfer the sim comfort level over to the real deal.

Early descent, Configure earlier, stabilise yourself early. Take your time folks.