PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inviting non pilots along
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2021, 08:43
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
As a low hours PPL, I have never flown with a non pilot. I am beginning to wonder about asking among my group of friends and colleagues if they would like to come along for a sight-seeing flight to one of the more picturesque airstrips that I am familiar with, and perhaps contribute to the fuel costs, or at least buy me a $100 hamburger. I could use the flying time, and someone contributing to the costs would be very helpful. Of course, I understand that this would be a different scale of responsibility compared to flying with someone who understands exactly what they are letting themselves in for.

I know that I would have jumped at the chance to do this just a couple of years ago - but obviously I am strange. I wonder if you folks could share some experiences/suggestions/precautions on approaching and flying with innocent non pilot friends? What reaction might I expect when they first see a rattly old C172 rather than the sleek jet they probably had in their minds ? How do passengers typically react to being bounced around by turbulence while squeezed into a tin can with all the sophistication of a Hillman Imp? How often do they scream and grab your arm?! A few sudden and substantial, buffets are almost inevitable as we descend over ground that has been baking in the sun. Obviously a good briefing is critical to set their expectations, but how to get that right without overloading or terrifying them....
Some quick thoughts.

* As a low timer you should consider taking a special crew management addon lesson with an experienced trainer. Distractions at wrong moment demand a high skill for being focussed.
* Do short straight line hops with passengers not used to the rapid movement of small aircraft.
* Get sick bags and train (!) what to do when that annoyance occurs.
* No kids in the front seat until experienced enough to be better than their parents.
* Check the insurance coverage of the aircraft and make sure passengers are covered.
* Don't get any money for anything related to the flight, especially when holding a FAA license. The line to CPL-mandatory is ultra-thin. Donations outside the flying world don't count.

Last - I don't take passengers I don't know and trust my life on, wouldn't be the first suicide from the right seat.