PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inviting non pilots along
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2021, 20:54
visibility3miles
See and avoid

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I’ve taken many non-pilots along with me on flights. Do not let small children in the front seat, as you never want to know what knobs or levers they might want to play with. Plus, weight and balance dictates that they should be in the back seat. I took my spouse and young child flying with me multiple times. Young child buckled in their car seat in the back usually nodded off and fell asleep very quickly with the droning hum of the plane. Get them ear protection if you can.

Having headsets available where passengers can hear what is going on is a bonus.

Keep weight and balance in mind, as if you have some chubby friends along, it will take longer to get off the ground.

I have never had a problem taking passengers, but I didn’t do so until I had many hours under my belt.

In the US, if you are a private pilot, you can split the cost of the fuel, but they cannot pay you to fly them around. You need to have a commercial license before you can charge fees.

Make sure you are comfortable with your flying skills before you take passengers. You do not need to show off. They’ll be thrilled regardless, if only because they get to see their neighborhood from above for the first time.

Turbulence does bother some people much more than others, especially if they don’t have a clue what causes it.