PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Licence to fly a 11,000 kg aircraft PVT Ops
Old 4th Dec 2021, 20:47
First_Principal

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kagamuga
Guptar,
You can fly anything you like on a PPL providing you are either endorsed or have a type rating. Providing the operation is 'private'
I know people who fly the DC3 as a single pilot aircraft, privately in parachute Ops abroad. I will stand corrected but I was certain our nearby neighbours flew DC-3's in Ag Ops as a S/P; but not sure.
In case it's helpful; I was rated in a C-47/DC3 on a PPL. We typically flew it multi-crew and I'd attended the appropriate ground school, at the time of my rating it was private ops. Not much later obtained a CPL at which time the licence was updated and the CAA entered said DC3 onto paper - so I guess the initial rating must have been ok ;-) Later obtain an AOC and the rest is history.

Also, to confirm that DC3's were operated single pilot on Ag operations, although I don't believe the 'Ag' was a pre-req to being single pilot? Sadly there were mishaps, with at least one catastrophic wing failure, they're wonderful aircraft but tooling them around like a fighter with large loads and under high-g conditions is hard yakker for old machines primarily designed as airliners

FP.