PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads up (or down)
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2021, 02:07
Koan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gardner

This was shocking

「Whilst it was envisaged pilots would only undertake one loop consisting of 5-6 weeks continuous isolation duty, followed by two weeks off. Several pilots are currently on their 5th closed loop and have conducted over 200 days of solitary confinement isolation this year alone. No fresh air or outside exercise on those days confined, eating only what’s on limited offer.」

Are you saying there are pilots who for 200 days have not seen anything but hotel rooms, then transport to an airport for a flight and back to hotel room and nothing else for months? Did they have access to outdoor exercise on some of the layovers? This would be akin to flight in a space capsule. But one would be regularly monitored by medical experts in that case. My very first experience with strict room lockdown in 2020 was three nights Radisson BLUE SYD and I thought I would go nuts. Watching hours of government deliberations on Australian tv it was pointed out that prisoners in Victoria jails are legally entitled to regular fresh air and exercise. I ended myself up dehydrated as I was trying to stretch my water supply... Bad idea. Most of our international layovers are nothing like this and we have run of the hotel if not full freedoms now.

I have done 15 nights straight to get into Thailand but at that time allowed one hour poolside relaxation per day after the first 4 or 5 days. The fact that they are now open for vaccinated tourists even with preflight PCR and one more arrival test proves there is no basis to continue these harsh lockdowns.

Madness and unsustainable.

Last edited by Koan; 24th Nov 2021 at 08:11.