PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in the Lake District , Cumbria
Old 21st Nov 2021, 10:18
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
A pointless and theoretically entirely avoidable accident. However hard we try, some people simply will not abandon their pre-conceived notions. Some overly self assured and confident individuals genuinely believe their judgement to be better than other people's - including , sometimes their instructors. This is possibly because they come from positions of authority. They are used to taking their own decisions rather than accepting advice from others.

Additionally, they quite probably have not before been in situations in which a succession of small errors and misjudgements can so quickly build up and kill you. Flying is very unforgiving of the careless or silly, more so than most other sports (though, say, mountain climbing, scuba diving and parachuting offer similar fast opportunities!)

Occasionally, when instructing, it has been important to wait until a significant error causes a scare in the trainee, to get that message through. Sadly, for some it never sinks in. I recall one Chief Instructor briefly all us instructors to carefully monitor one 'Bloggs'. He was good, but apt to overcook things, take too many risks and rely on his admittedly fairy good handling skills to get him out of the problems. Very frustrating to deal with. After many frights and near things he did seem to get the message and left light aviation. He killed himself on a motorcycle eventually. (Oddly, he was a misogynist and recognised it; he would not listen to or learn from our female instructors. " I just can't take orders from a woman" - he knew it was daft but just couldn't stop himself. Drove my wife mad !)

A saying I once heard/read went something like - "The sole purpose of some people's existence is to act as a cautionary example to everyone else. " Not a nice epitaph.