PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in the Lake District , Cumbria
Old 20th Nov 2021, 21:03
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
...he did not actually understand that it was marginal...
Quite probable, but even if he had understood it seems he was pushy enough to carry on anyway - given the airfield owner's actions one would imagine the pilot had been clearly advised not to carry on the flight.

I've put some thought into my earlier questions, I agree that's there's little new here, but in relation to "is there anything more we can do to stop this sort of thing happening again?" I think perhaps there are some simple things that could assist:
  1. When I think back to my training I'm not sure there was much emphasis on the effect of soft ground, particularly coupled with short grass fields. That's not to say there was none (and my case probably had some unique circumstances) but I wonder if there's some value in being made to actually walk a field with a view to its suitability and effects on t/o and landing? Maybe this should be a syllabus item?
  2. During training, is there any real explanation around a PPR? Understanding of this, and why people have such things, seems to have been utterly lacking. Yet again, should this be part of the syllabus? If it's already part of the syllabus does it need to be beefed up, with particular regard to understanding circumstances that might make an airfield unsuitable on a day-to-day basis (including why it might be unsuitable for YOU at a certain part of your career).
  3. Is there value in a gradated licence? I don't know this airfield at all, but as I take it it's a private field requiring a PPR I suggest it could carry a higher risk than some other places. Perhaps the first xx flying hours of a new licence holder should be restricted to 'standard' fields, and/or an endorsement required for operation in/out of private fields? An endorsement that's more than just a tick in a box I add - let's check out the candidate's ground planning etc (incl understanding of PPR) as well as actual flying knowledge/perception.

Finally, I agree, Maoraigh1 , that rules by themselves may well not have prevented this tragedy, however I'd like to think that more (specific) experience might have made it less likely. The comments I raise above are around enhancing this, not so much about rules, although I acknowledge they'd probably require minor alteration...

FP.