PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in the Lake District , Cumbria
Old 20th Nov 2021, 07:00
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double barrel raises issues which all flight instructors have to deal with.
Whether age & success prior to learning to fly are factors here are matters for debate.
An attitude that the normal rules & protocols do not apply to you are interesting, if not disturbing.
I would describe such traits as a “loose canon”.

It reminds me of the Tariq Sharer accident in 1992.
The AAIB report on PA28 G-BNOD is on line & valuable reading for all authorising instructors.
After the 1993 FAI in Dumfries, the matter went to the High Court, Edinburgh some 7 years later.

I was ‘surprised’ that prior to PPL issue a solo navigation exercise had been authorised to Troutbeck and the understandable ‘concern’ of the airfield owner when this fact was eventually revealed.

Performance considerations v. safe operations should feature heavy in all pilot training.

The toxicology report that a “recreational drug” had been consumed a day or so before the accident is also worrying, although not directly regarded as an accident factor. Such drugs would appear to be prevalent if sample analysis by scientists of the Thames is any indication.
The CAA have highlighted such off duty activities to ATCOs are not compatible with ATC functions.

So once again ‘human factors’ & the Swiss Cheese model are present in this wholly avoidable accident.

Extremely sad for all concerned.

Last edited by parkfell; 20th Nov 2021 at 16:28. Reason: syntax