PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simming before PPL
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2021, 20:55
visibility3miles
See and avoid

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
I have not spent a lot of time on flight simulators, but I don’t think it could have really prepared me for unexpected thermals, nor gusty crosswind landings, nor stray traffic or nearby fires that obscured the runway.

I initially had a bad habit of “porpoising” on landings, i.e., over controlling, then getting too high then too low on approach. Alas, I almost made myself air sick until I finally learned to chill out and stare at that imaginary dot on the runway before my instructor and I finally got happy with my approach.

Maybe a sim could have helped with that,

Try flying an actual Cessna 152 on a hot day when the thermals keep bouncing you about when you try to maintain a steady altitude or approach,

I don’t think that learning to fly a 777 would help much.

Sim training might help you how to handle the radio in crowded airspace. Practice makes perfect, or at least better.

Hitting the push to talk switch or, in ancient times, picking up a mike to respond to air traffic controller is distracting.

In the sims I saw it seemed like one always had automatic clearance to enter controlled airspace and were cleared to land immediately wherever you wanted to go.

None of this: Say again? Divert to… Look out for traffic at… Please follow… You are number three behind… Watch out for deer on runway…

Or when as a private pilot you can’t get a word in edgeways and are not allowed to enter controlled airspace if the ATC is too busy.