PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is Enough
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2021, 09:23
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
I don't know why pilots put up with some of the crap we do.

I remember floating the question amongst colleagues at a previous airline; "why must we work on Christmas day?", to be met by blank looks and derision. "It's what you signed up for!", "yes, but why can't we change it?". A CC at the same airline told me that when her nine year old son saw her in uniform, early on Christmas day, he burst into tears, because once again, Mummy was not going to be home on Christmas day. Why do we accept it?

And the EASA flight time limitations that were more onerous than those we had before - just accepted with grumbling and a fatigue reporting system.........

Why don't we ever go on strike to maintain or improve our conditions? What's wrong with us? We work bloody hard as it is, while maintaining standards and professionalism at all hours of the day and night, and home study etc.

The OP should probably resign, but they will have to work out their notice, so that is not an immediate solution. But I would say to the OP and anyone else in a similar situation, just get out and do something else - life will go on, you will find another career.

Flying big jets was fantastic, but I think those days are mostly now behind us - commercial considerations have ruined what used to be a rewarding and worthwhile profession. The CEOs just want to make money, and are not interested in actually creating a happy airline, as long as the passengers keep coming, and passengers mostly only chose on seat price.

It is not worth risking your health or your marriage or family to keep on in a bad situation in the hope it will one day improve.