PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-LAWX S92 Incident AAIB
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2021, 08:02
LOONRAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-LAWX S92 Incident Discussion

A very thought provking responce by Dickie B and for me the following is particulary cogent.

‘’ My reading of the report is that the cockpit gradient was completely wrong and if I am correct in this where should the blame sit? With the F/O or the Commander? Did the F/O not attempt to air some concerns and offer alternative and safer options that fell on deaf ears? When the wheel really came off would it be true to say it that there was very little acceptance that the other half of the team may have had a view and would be able to make a valuable contribution

I retired from flying some years ago but during my spell as CP of a corporate S76 operation I included the following in our corporate operations manual to ensure the Pilot Monitoring (called co pilot in the old days and another captain but sat in the left seat) was fully empowerd and briefed prior to any approach.

‘’ duties, responsibilities and calls to be made by the co pilot including actions he should take in the event of failure of the handling pilot to adhere to minimum altitudes/heights, RVR’s, approach bans and descent below MDA/DA.

The form of words for the briefing should be along the lines of:

‘ In the event of descent below minimum specified Altitude/Height or continued approach below specified RVR/MDA/DA without the required visual references you are to verbally warm me by calling ‘Go Around I say again Go Around’. In the event of non immediate corrective/overshoot action by me you are to take control with the words’’ I have control’’ and take overshoot action’

It's not perfect but at least it addressed a serious issue at a critical time.