PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2021, 13:25
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Two interesting stories in The Oz this morning - British Defence Secy and former US sub commander both saying that Oz boats will be Astutes.
Smaller, cheaper, (faster!) build avaliable at end of 2020s and more multi-mission capable.He said the submarine production would fit in with the British production cycle, given that the country has just kicked off its hunter-killer submarines, and the US is in full flow on its own boats. Australia has yet to decide whether to model its new submarine on the British or American models.

The British are in the final stages of completing the fifth Astute-class submarine, HMS Anson, which will begin sea trials early next year.

“We are in a strong position to help the Australians achieve that capability so I am very confident that British engineering, British skills, Australian nous, will deliver a very good submarine,” Mr Wallace said.

and:

Former submariner and navy commander Bryan Clark, a senior fellow at Washington’s Hudson Institute, said his discussions with US Navy and defence industry figures suggested the Virginia-class design would not be made available to Australia.

“I don’t get a sense that the US is going to share the Virginia re*actor plant with Australia,” he told The Australian. “I think it is pretty clear this is likely to be a British effort that the US supports through technology transfer.”
You've got to ask the question who the hell runs the United States. The President of the United States, the Chief Executive, Head of State and Head of Government announces that the United States will share its submarine technology with Australia and Australia will get either a US boat or a UK boat but with US nuclear technology.

Enter all these retired Admirals and Sub Commanders and defence 'experts' as well as un-named Pentagon persons saying no, that won't happen.

Like I said, who runs the US, the President or retired Admirals and defence mandarins.