PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2021, 12:45
recceguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ORAC
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy’s chief of naval operations .[..]... from a defense industrial base in Australia, to a community inside the Australian Navy that’s able to man, train, and equip those submarines, to sustain them....
[..]
“This is a very long-term effort that’ll be decades, I think, before a submarine goes in the water ……
Americans are quite realistic in pointing out the problems..... good to read that.

Some Aussies seem to regret that their workshare in the program with the French went to 90 % (?) to 70 then 60% (which is my knowledge)
Delays and cost-increase in the contract were coming exactly from that specific requirement, quite unrealistic because of the "lack of expertise" down South . It's a little bit similar to those people considering themselves " an aeronautical nation" .. yes, they share a common laguage with Brits and Yanks, theyr have airlines pilots scattered all around Asia and Middle-East, usually trusting the management positions because of their golfing abilities, but where are the factories, the research centers and the Technical Universities ?

Anyway, that was quite refreshing to learn about ex-PM Kevin Rudd being despised by quite a lot here, and NZ having to stay at the door - I enjoyed reading that, their world is not so solid, it seems.

And regarding the letter of program appreciation received by the French governement the morning of the AUKUS annoucement, saying as it has been wrtten above : "departments are numerous in government offices, they don't talk to each other " " that was a proof of the secrecy of the deal to come" does seem to me a little bit immature, like a child miserable excuse. Who is the petulant child once again ?
Petulant and livid maybe, but still with some honor.
Keep treating your allies like that, and you will see the results.