PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2021, 08:00
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinHeywood
Well that was 65 years ago, global security is a completely different paradigm now.

I would argue that AUKUS is not simply an ‘Anglo’ alliance; all three countries share a commitment to a relatively liberal democracy, stable governance and a willingness to act as reasonable global citizens..
You are correct with the point about 65 years so maybe some upthread need to stop using events that happened even further back than that as justification for views held in 2021.

However if there’s still insistence on arguments along the lines of “well in XXXX you did this so there” then a reminder that there was a much more recent event where the actions of one of the AUKUS triad dropped the other two in the mire to a certain extent and ended up being accused by some of being an unreliable ally.

As to the sub deal - There may well have been good practical, contractural and strategic reasons why the French/Aus contract fell apart but I think ultimately it might be a tad naive to think the new arrangement/agreements will automatically be plain sailing by virtue of the Anglo aspect..most especially once the industrial-military complex gets it’s teeth into the sharing of work so I suspect stories about this deal will be surfacing on a regular basis over the next couple of decade…

Finally (hurrah) a gentle nudge that plenty of non Anglo countries have values that claim to involve liberal democracy, stable governance and a willingness to act as reasonable global citizens….