PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO licence (Australia) to UK
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2021, 17:57
malazon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow ICAO licence (Australia) to UK

Hi All,
I am hoping to obtain some advice with my first post from this PPRuNe community I've been recommended!

Here is my situation:
- I hold a RPL in Australia with approximately 70 hours logged flight time. (I also have hundreds more flying hours with my dad who has 7000 hours as a chief pilot... but sadly these can't be logged and are therefore probably not relevant here!?)
- I now live in the UK and would love to continue my flying and progress toward obtaining a private pilots license.
- I am told I need an ICAO license conversion but from what I read it requires the following:
  1. Pass a written examination in Air Law and Human Performance;
  2. Pass the PPL, BPL or SPL skill test, as relevant, in accordance with Part-FCL;
  3. Fulfil the requirements for the issue of the relevant class or type rating;
  4. Hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate, issued in accordance with Part-Medical;
  5. Demonstrate that he/she has acquired language proficiency in accordance with FCL.055 that has been tested by an approved UK CAA examiner or language school;
  6. Have completed at least 100 hours of flight time as a pilot
Ultimately my goal is to fly in the UK. Can I pick up where I left off in Australia and continue my training toward a PPL in the UK? I'd like to put those training hours (and money spent) to good use rather than starting again but it seems whomever I speak to are not quire sure where I should begin. Can anyone help me or steer me in the right direction so I can get in the air again? I'd like to avoid 'wasting' all that money and time spent training in Australia and continue my progression in the UK.

Note, my medical has also lapsed and would need to obtain another (but I dont want to do this prematurely).

Much appreciated everyone!