PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightnings & Phantoms
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2021, 10:19
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Where are they !!

Originally Posted by rolling20
I must be the unluckiest man alive.
Flew into Binbrook in July 82, spent 4 hours on the tarmac and didn't see a single Lightning!

The Camo was vey good I believe !!! Out of my comfort zone here, but I did help Wattisham Air Traffic find a brake chute that had been let go after a go around. Had sneaked into the Tower on an ATC camp rather than visit the radar bay. Said Lightning went around with chute attached and turned left for a low level circuit, but before he turned downwind the chute fell away. As this was the highlight of my Cadet day so to speak I took good notice of the line from the tower of the drop (prob my Scouting past). Some time later a Chipmunk was to be seen circling near the overshoot area, and I was informed they were looking for the chute. As this was not where I thought it was I mentioned to someone that it 'could' be somewhere else. The Chipmunk was told to move until he approached my sight line, and BINGO spotted it right away. Cadet was presented with tea and buns and was not missed from the Radar bay visit.
Very quiet Battle of Britain time down west other than some Hawks 'playing' in the overhead, and even they will be 'posted' soon.