PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was he Correct in Speaking Out.
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2021, 13:21
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Having watched Lt Col Scheller's YouTube video I don't understand why some members are talking about obeying, or not, illegal orders. His complaint rather seems to be about incompetence and gross negligence at the top of his command chain and beyond, and of his demanding accountability for that. Others have said his gesture is pointless and will do no good, either for him or for his Service, and that he should have just kept sitting on his hands. That of course is the default hope of all who are found wanting at the top of the tree (our own Foreign Secretary is hoping that all such criticism aimed at him in the papers will end up on the chip counters very soon, if not there already).

It is never a question of doing 'good' (whatever that means), it is a question of right and wrong. It is for history to decide if going in was right, of what was done once we were there was right, and of the manner of leaving now. I suspect that the Lt Col knows rather more about that than I do, and has decided to fall on his sword in order to have his say. I'd hazard that history will endorse much of what he has to say. I for one respect him for doing so. As for demoralising those below him, I imagine that many of them agree with him, and feel he is speaking out on their behalf. He says many have already expressed similar ideas on social media, though I suspect that is as verboten as in the UK, and they too will soon be having their collars felt.

The incompetence and ineptitude of UK Victorian VSOs during the Crimean War was revealed by the Thunderer, and Army reforms followed as a result. If his Court Martial produces a similar outcome then his speaking out will not have been in vain. It certainly worked for Billy Mitchell!