PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was he Correct in Speaking Out.
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2021, 13:04
VictorSR

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Real military values

Originally Posted by KPax
Just read this and wondered what your thoughts are regarding using Social media to speak out, I know it is not Aviation related but could apply across the board, taken from the Mail.
Active duty Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller was relieved of his duty for saying senior leaders need to take accountability for botched, fatal Afghanistan evacuation in widely shared video. 'The reason people are so upset on social media right now is not because the Marine on the battlefield let someone down,' Scheller said in a nearly five-minute video posted on Facebook and LinkedIn. 'People are upset because their senior leaders let them down. And none of them are raising their hands and accepting accountability or saying, "We messed this up."' The video has been shared on Facebook over 23,000 times by Friday evening and has over 3,100 comments, most of which are supporting Scheller's bravery for speaking out. He was relieved of his duties hours later. The Marines said in a statement to DailyMail.com, ''This is obviously an emotional time for a lot of Marines, and we encourage anyone struggling right now to seek counseling or talk to a fellow Marine. There is a forum in which Marine leaders can address their disagreements with the chain of command, but it's not social media.' Scheller knew he was risking his stellar 17-year career by posting the video. 'I have been fighting for 17 years. I am willing to throw it all away to say to my senior leaders, "I demand accountability."'
Now there is someone with real moral values. Not evident in politicians