PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reform the U.K. CAA
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2021, 15:45
8Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reform the U.K. CAA

I am a UK and EASA commercial pilot, flying instructor, aviation business owner, & UAS enthusiast, I trained from April 2019 and have battled through Brexit and Covid, but in the most part I have battled the UK CAA. I know I’m not alone.

I’m writing with one main goal - To try create a political movement and debate that instigates a wholesale reform of the UK CAA.

Prior to starting in Aviation I was a Police officer and worked through some very hard reforms and austerity measures. This was a painful time in policing, but it brought efficiency and innovation.

I have come to realise that the UK CAA are a quango formed in the 1970’s who’s ideology, mission statement and funding strategy do not suit the modern age. Many of these quangos including the National Policing Improvement Agency were “burned” between 2010-2012, but the UK CAA remained.

Examples of how the funding strategy/ideology destroy efficacy and innovation:
Cellama - separate medical system, no joined up thinking, creates silos.
Drone Database - as above, could have been a single record management system that linked to all types of pilots. Way over priced.
EU Return licences - Could have just kept old records and printed a UK FCL licence, instead created a long winded costly process.
Multiple website and customer portal issues and downtime.
We are still flying 1970’s aircraft due to over regulation

These are the things that are holding it and UK aviation back. It has been exposed during the Brexit transition and the pandemic. Many pilots myself included have SOLI’d to other EASA states and found them efficient, helpful and cost effective. My Danish EASA licence cost £77 and was processed in 1 month, my UK licence has cost nearly £1000 and after 11 months and 4 complaints I still don’t have it. There is currently no divergence in regulations between the UK and EU, so there is no excuse.

The UK CAA is one of the only public bodies that are still offering a reduced service, working from home and are utterly overwhelmed even after the 19th of July 21. Organisations like the Police, DVLA, Passport office have adapted to the Pandemic and Brexit maintaining their levels of service. The UK CAA are failing even during a period of decreased demand. There are no excuses.

The UK CAA is busy over regulating UAS (even control line & RC hobby) yet cannot cope with conventional services. It is not focusing on customer service, output and development.

Because the UK CAA has no oversight and Pilots have a small political voice this situation is perpetual. Pilots who speak out and complain about the UK CAA are given a very hard time. It has become totalitarian organisation with no oversight immune to criticism.

The UK CAA problem is affecting commercial and general aviation pilots, UAS pilots, engineers and ATC. It would be great for UK Aviation in the U.K. if it was reformed.

My vision of the reform would be:

Licences and medicals given to an organisation like the dvla and passport office, then regulation given to a government board overseen by DfT. With a watchdog on top of all. A mandate to support & develop modern aviation in the UK.

The UK CAA needs to embrace the opportunities Brexit has generated. The UK could easily become the most important transatlantic aviation hub and leaders in unmanned technology.

Please be a voice, lobby you MP’s!

Reform the U.K. CAAUK CAA is one of the only public bodies that are still offering a reduced service,