PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Janitor
Thread: The Janitor
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2021, 02:21
SASless

Received 550 Likes on 223 Posts
My Grandfather was nominated for the Medal of Honor for going out under direct enemy fire three times and retrieving wounded Soldiers during an ambush by Philippine Guerrillas during the Insurrection of 1898.

While stationed at Subic Bay I had the opportunity to visit the isolated valley high up in the mountains of Luzon where the combat actin had occurred.

Grand Dad wound up with the DSC instead fo the MOH.....I firmly believe had he not been just a Private....he would have had the Medal.

I do know where I get my sarcastic streak from.....in an exchange of letters between him and his Platoon Leader who had written the Recommendation for the Award....and in response to the LT's laudatory comments....Grand Dad said "It was not a big deal really....I felt like as long as they were aiming at me I was safe!".

I once had the honor of meeting Roy Benavidez who earned the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War....he was another very humble unassuming Man who had done such an unbelievable feat of gallantry.

Take a few minutes and read up on his last day in combat....it is an incredible story.