PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2003, 00:48
turboshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

If you - or any of our other Model 250-C47B/47M operators - have any concerns regarding the current engine investigation, as described in the Bell Service Letter posted below (Bell ASB 407-03-73), I would strongly encourage you to contact the customer support team here in Indy ([email protected] or phone: 317 230 2720).

Since the investigation is still on-going, it's not appropriate for me to provide further comment on the root cause (as much as I might want to), but I will say that the current focus of the investigation is on the -C47B/407 rather than the -C47M/MD600N, due to differences in the engine running speed.

There is a substantial effort being undertaken by the team here in Indy (in cooperation with Bell and the NTSB) to fully understand and address this issue, and further information will be released through the proper channels as soon as it is known.

Fly safe,
t/shaft

-----

Information Letter 407-03-73
December 14, 2003

TO: All Owners/Operators of Bell 407 series Helicopters
SUBJECT: Information on Model 407

There have been 2 incidents in the Texas gulf coast area involving the Model 407 since November of this year. The preliminary investigation suggests that they may be engine related. The investigation by the NTSB is on going at this time.

Both Bell and Rolls-Royce have formed a joint action team to ensure that the combined assets of both companies are focused on the most rapid resolution of the situation. The engine components have been returned to Rolls Royce under the authority of the NTSB investigation. Important information resulting from the investigation will be distributed rapidly to all the Model 407 operators and maintainers as it becomes available.

Currently there are over 560 Model 407 Rolls-Royce powered helicopters in over 80 different countries around the world. This fleet has accumulated over 1,400,000 flight hours since the introduction in 1996.

Bell Helicopter and Rolls-Royce are committed to the rapid resolution of these events and our desire to keep you well informed.

Any media inquiries regarding these incidents may be directed to Carl Harris in the Bell Helicopter Textron office (phone: 817-280-2783, email: [email protected] ).

Customer inquires may be directed to Jack Denham, Director Product Support (phone: 817 280-3344, email: [email protected] ).

In case of questions about the involvement of the engine:

Please direct any media inquiries regarding this incident to Maria Weber in the Corporate Communications office (phone: 317-230-6662, email: [email protected] ).

Please direct any customer inquiries regarding this incident to Gary Souza in the Model 250 support team (phone: 317-230-3987, email: [email protected] ).

Last edited by turboshaft; 18th Dec 2003 at 20:32.