PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Running down a Squadron/Station
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2021, 19:27
NutLoose

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Only one I was involved in was when our Jag Sqn disbanded, it was a strange time as I was rostered on Q, so watched the Sqn disbanding parade etc through the fence of Q, we all got a print of us all in front of the Jags and tankard. It was a strange situation as although the Sqn had disbanded we were still stood up to NATO on Q until our jet came off line. We were all asked if we wanted any tools to put ones name down for them as they were going to be binned, I did wonder how that would sit later in my career if found in my possession. I often wonder what happened to the star fighter wing we had in the crew room, the other was a table behind the German block in Sardinia… both ermmmm souvenirs

Several of us were then posted onto different Sqns, I went to 14 And was on that for a fair while then when they were sorting out the disbandment of 14 some of us were swopped with the odd people station or moved to other sections if we didn’t have time left on our tour to complete with 14, I could never understand why you would take experience off a Sqn for a matter of weeks instead of simply extending the tours to suit. I did several weeks on the MU.

Posting in the RAF then could be varied, get stuck in a bay and it could be for you career, I was lucky I did first line, also I got a range of experience much to the amazement of a Jag Cpl on shift that did Jag U.K. Jag Germany Jag Scotland etc.
I was lucky three types of Helicopter, Jags and then VC10.