PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall/Spin Training
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2021, 08:53
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by David J Pilkington
Out of interest: "at least two hours of stall awareness and spin avoidance flight training" seems to me that means undertaking that training for 2 hours rather than, for example, doing two flights of an hour each where such training was undertaken? If I do such a one hour flight from where I am based I would spend about 25 minutes max doing the stall/spin avoidance exercises.
I think the thing to remember, DJP, is that this is not really a box-ticking exercise.
Having carried out such instruction for a long time, albeit mainly prior to aerobatic training, the idea is to familiarise yourself with the physical/visual situation of any Unusual Position, to recognise it and to safely recover with minimum height loss.
IMHO this requires as many hours practice as is needed to feel comfortable with your recoveries.
There have been too many fatal accidents caused by spinning off the Finals turn, mishandling in poor visibility and just flicking off an over-enthusiastic steep turn at low level. It’s for your own good.